Situated on the fringe of a great lake, Government Hamidia Arts & Commerce
College, Bhopal, holds within its folds a spectacular combination of activities related
to academics and research, games and sports, art and culture. Life never stops in
Hamidia College and nowhere else is Nature so pristine. Surrounded by innumerable
and rare species of age-old trees that offer shelter to a large variety of birds, the
majestic heritage building has come to be recognized as a symbol and hub for
academic and extra-academic activities. The establishment of the college in 1946
broke the impasse of limited school education during the Nawabi rule of Bhopal. This
is the oldest and the most prestigious institution of the city that had been imparting
higher education in the faculties of Arts and Commerce.
Nurtured by tradition and pampered by natural beauty of its own, the college has
made tremendous strides in the fields of education, sports, art, culture etc. With a
heritage spanning over 67 years, the college can boast of a number of its old students
who have reached great heights as being a part of this institution. Some of the eminent
personalities are Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, former President of India; Shri Shivraj
Singh Chouhan, the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh; Shri Aziz Qureshi, Governor
Uttrakhand; Shri O.N. Shrivastava, former Governor of Manipur; Smt. Najma
Heputullah, former Chairperson Rajya Sabha; Smt. Sudha Malhotra, the famous7
playback singer; Justice Faiz-auddin; Shri Ramesh Chandra Agarwal, Chairman
Dainik Bhaskar Group; Shri Madan Mohan Joshi, former editor Dainik Naidunia and
Present Director, Jawahar Lal Nehru Cancer Hospital; Mr. Manoj Shrivastava
Principal Secretary, Madhya Pradesh Government. The college has an ethos of its
own where the old social modes intermingle with the modern to create a secular and
- Our college is the lead college of Bhopal district. It entrusts our institute with
the additional responsibility supervising all government and aided colleges of
the district. The principal of the college is the Ex-Officio Additional Director
of games and also the DDO of all the aided colleges in jurisdiction.
- Quality education is provided to students belonging to economically weak
sections of the society.
- The highly competent faculty of the college acts as research guides and is
presently engaged in supervising research scholars of various subjects.
- The institute has many students who are differently abled and the college
provides them with academic and infrastructural facilities.
- The students of NCC and NSS have brought laurels to college by their
exceptional performance at the state and national level.
- The Yoga and meditation classes conducted for both the students and the staff
leads to deeper self knowledge, heightened consciousness, better mental and
spiritual well being of the students.
- The Career and Guidance Cell provides skill development training and
conducts several workshops for the benefit of the students.
- The institute boasts of an exclusive research centre in Humanities and
- The mission of the college is to help prepare outstanding educators,
scholars, and researchers and to advance the profession of education,
through service, leadership and patriotism.
- The effective use of technology.
- To give counselling to students, creating awareness for job opportunities.
- To engage the students in extracurricular activities like NCC/NSS literary
programmes, cultural activities, art exhibitions etc. for their all round
development of personality.
- To guide the students with the contemporary issues such as gender bias,
global warming, green technology, use of alternative energy and moral
values so that they become good and noble citizens.
- Enhance the commitment of the faculty, the staff and the students.
- Sustain a caring, supportive, climate throughout the college.
- Enhance the effective and efficient management of the college.